[at-l] Dehydrating foods {WAS Steel-Cut Oats}

This weekend has been dehydrator city in Atlanta! My wife found my
stash of dehydrated pears and strawberries, finding them a great
snack/desert while at school. The dehydrator is no longer another
hare-brained hiker scheme. This weekend, I've been dehydrating nearly
overripe mangoes (Dan Quail taught me to spell), apples, bannanas, and
a tomato. Interesting smells in the house.

What I'm finding with fruit is that when the peel begins to look a bit
aged and me or family won't eat it, it is pretty close to perfect for
dehydrating. I'm wondering about scoring over ripe fruit at the grocers
before it is discarded.

This sort of strategy makes dehydrating more economical. If it is about
to become trash, the dehydrated food becomes essentially free for a
little bit of slicing and dicing, and electricity.

BTW, how do you do potatoes? Are they cooked first or simply sliced
before drying?

Now if I can find a better place to hide my stash!

Bill...