[at-l] Trekking poles

Most long distance hikers I know use a pair of telescoping walking sticks that come with a strap so you use your forearm and wrist rather than your fingers to grip the handle. For myself, a sobo wannabe, I started with no sticks, took up a stick in the woods, and eventually added another. Hunting and carving them became loads of fun for my and my girls. But on one week-end hike they became too heavy for me and I switched to the REI poles. On new year's eve on springer Leki presented Nimblewill Nomad with a new pair of its most advanced titanium model of telescoping walking sticks. They are the lightest, most responsive hiking poles I've ever seen. For me walking sticks assist in climbing, giving me an upper body work out I never used to get hiking. Moving down hill they provide wonderful braking and support for the ankles and the knees. They've saved me from several falls and sprained ankles. They provide poles for a tarp and a convenient place to hang a water bag, so they hav!
e more than one use. Without them I don't enjoy my hike as much, with a single exception: the noise when they hit a rock. To avoid that noise I find I must hike more aware of my arms than before. The noise now signals to me that I'm getting tired and paying less attention than I might.