[at-l] Steel-Cut Oats

Many thanks to all who responded with good information on steel cut oats and
grits. I think I will make a meal a week with my Chainsaw pot cozy and
alcohol stove on the porch, until I get the proportions right.

Ron W, you were right, it WAS McCann's. The oat "nuts" were chewy, but
pleasantly so. There was a bit of extra water, to which I added a little
Soya soy flour, New Hampshire maple syrup from the Gathering, and of course,
a glob of butter. Mmmmm, breakfast...

I forgot to add, I cooked using my OB-coached soda-can stove, which
performed like a champ.

GARucker Ed Speer, a possibly new lurking member and a font of nutritional
information also had a great idea.
In order to add vegetables to his "thru" he dehydrated everything healthy he
could get his hands on. He did this whenever things came into season,
starting the six months before his thru.

Then he took a simple coffee grinder and made "spinach powder" or Sweet
potato powder" or "Kale powder, etc." The he would mix these together in
various pleasing combinations with great spices- Mexican corn chowder (heavy
on the hot chilis), Italian soup, Indian-type curries, etc.

"The powders made it compact easy to carry. Some nights I was eating 10 or
12 different vegetables," he said. He believes this close attention to
improved nutrition helped him complete his AT thru on his third attempt. The
proof is in the pudding.

If you're out there Ed, I hope you will speak up and share a bit about what
you learned in three attempts about what worked and what didn't. I have more
questions.
Many thanks again,
Jan

--