[at-l] Re: Trail volunteers

This sounds very familiar!  The young people we see working on the
trial are part of organized crews that we bring in with the
assistance of the AMC and ATC.  They help us write grant requests for
their own funds (relatively limited) or funding from outside sources.
"My" AT Committee itself leads work parties every Tuesday and
Saturday from May to Sept.  We typically see about 2-6 people on
these crews and very few new faces.  Volunteer outreach really needs
to be our top priority. Of course the Committee is mostly guys (like
myself--though I'm the baby at 48) with limited social skills.  What
we need are some "maintainer babes" to give us some glitz.

The AMC provides their "Volunteer Trail Crew" which offers
participants a week on the AT or Mt Greylock.  Of course the
participants have to pay $65 to volunteer...this is the AMC after
all.  The advantage to our club is there are 7 weeks of 3-8 crew
people out on the trail--not the most experienced folks mind you, but
they are usually young and enthusiastic and are well led by seasonal
AMC staff.  What I try and do is meet them for a day of work or at a
meal and tell them about the Committee's work and how they can join
us.  I've gotten a few nibbles, but the best recruit to date has been
a former crew leader.

Cosmo