[at-l] Trip Menu for low blood sugar

This weekend: Max Patch to Hot Springs, section 15 on the AT
in NC.

Leaving late morning from Hot Springs, then starting in Max
Patch.  Lunch before leaving Hot Springs in the Smokey
Mountain Cafe. :-)

Remember this food is planned around exercise-induced
hypoglycemia.  In addition to the meals, I'll have about 20
*little* snacks with me, about 1 per planned mile.  (This may
be way too much, I'm not sure how many I will need in the
mountains.  I use 1 snack per 2-3 miles in the flatlands, and
I am a slow hiker.)

And of course, once I get out there I may change things
around.  But I find I have to plan in order to have what I
need to balance each meal/snack.

SATURDAY DINNER
Brown rice ramen (while cooking)
Soup made from:
    Knorr tomato & basil soup mix
    1/3 c. Textured Vegetable Protein granules
    small slab dried tofu
    1/2 c. just veggies
    1 oz. dried mushrooms
    dried minced onion
    dried minced tomato bits
w/ rye crackers & butter
followed by hot chocolate (no added sugar kind)
dried fruit or gorp

SUNDAY MORNING
Green tea
hot yellow corn grits made with:
    bacon
    cheese
    minced onion
    TVP
    salt/pepper

SUNDAY LUNCH
Muesli premixed with
Complex-carb & protein shake mix
then mixed with water
Emergen-C lite to drink
gorp

SUNDAY DINNER
Chicken broth with corn pasta bits (while cooking)
Soup made from:
    Knorr roasted garlic herb
    1/3 c. instant brown rice
    1/3 c. red lentils
    1/3 c. quick barley
    slab dried tofu
    dried minced onion
    1 oz. dried mushrooms
Peanut butter sandwich on sprouted bread
Blackberry tea
Gorp or dried fruit

MONDAY MORNING
green tea
Multi-grain wheat free hot cereal
butter
salt
honey
TVP

MONDAY LUNCH
instant skin-on mashed potatoes
brown gravy mix
dried beef sticks
Emergen-C lite to drink
dried fruit

LITTLE SNACKS
Wheat-free Bear Valley sesame-lemon Meal Pack (food bar)
Sprouted bread peanut butter sandwich halves made ahead, in
snack baggies (fresh ground peanut butter, no sugar)
Various energy bars (I look for higher protein - at least 12
gms., and a good ration of protein to carb, like about 2 gms.
carb for every gram protein.  When it gets over 3 gms. carb
per gm. protein, or 10 or less gms. protein, I pass.)
Cheddar cheese pre-cut in about 1.5-2 oz. chunks.
Dried beef sticks (these are NOT mass produced and are
excellent quality)
Hard boiled eggs (usually only on day hikes)
GORP I make myself from peanuts, sesame seeds, etc. with some
dried fruit.  No candy.
Wheat-free (oat based) teething biscuits
Rye crackers and sliced cheese for a small *sandwich*
1/2 fruit (day trips)

A snack would be the equivalent of 1.5 oz. good cheese with
1/2 apple, balancing a protein with a carb (fruit or
complex).  The energy bars if picked carefully and not used
too often are a good change and have both carb and protein.

*Real* meals are required, and must include protein.  If I try
to just keep going on snacks while hiking all day, I fade.  If
I feel myself starting to fade in the afternoon, I stop and
cook something.  The energy I get from it allows me to make up
the time I lose cooking  & eating.

Delita

--
Delita Wright