[at-l] Side trips in the Maine "Wilderness"

When I do the "Wilderness" in Maine, I plan to set aside some time to =
visit the Hermitage and to hike the Gulf Hagas loop.

First Question: would it be safe to leave our packs on the main trail =
while doing these side trails?  Or maybe stash them a little off the =
trail?  Do hikers packs get stolen in Maine? (It would not be a good =
place to lose you pack).

Second Question: the Maine Trail Guide (under the Heading "Antlers =
Campsite")lists the old wilderness campsites in Northern Maine.  Two =
piqued my interest:=20

1) Myshralls White House Camps: "no longer on the trail route" yet the =
Companion lists White House Landing Wilderness Camp - less then 1 mile =
from the AT, selling pizza, beer, hamburgers, &ct.  Are these one and =
the same?  Is this worth a visit?

2) Nevel's Nahmakanta Lake Camps: "The only camps in the AT corridor =
still operating and open to the public".  The Companion does not mention =
this one.  What is it and does it have any interest to Thru hikers?  =
Lodging? Food?

Thanks
Pb

multipart/alternative