[at-l] Wingfoot's concerned about the at-l.

In a message dated 1/24/02 10:16:46 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Snodrog5@aol.com writes:

> My words were:"We all wanted Saddleback saved, and many of us did something
> about it. Some of us even tried to help via TP's effort. And when we heard
> about the Gulf Tract trouble here on the at-l (where the news broke first,
> btw, for those of you who were stranded on ATML Isle) many of us acted. And
> the Putnam mine issue? It was settled before WF belatedly jumped on the
> bandwagon. Ah, the Truth. Ain't it grand?"
> He says I'm wrong about Putnam Mine. No one else told me I was wrong about
> Putnam Mine. I thought I was right then, I think I'm right still.
> My facts:
> The permit was issued in May 1999.
> In April 2000 the State announced it's intent to revoke.
> In August 2000 TP was running it's email project.
> Fact in contention: If Clark Stone's appeal ever had a chance. My research
> says no. The permit was issued in error, the appeal had no merit.
> His gross overreaction is evidence to me that he is obsessively concerned
> with taking credit for the end result of the Putnam Mine Permit issue.
> I've invited him to resubscribe to at-l if he's so concerned about what's
> posted here. He has refused.
> If anyone out there is in personal contact with Dan, you might consider
> checking in on him to make sure he's OK.
> TJ
> p.s. Just checked, looks like TP isn't completely defunct. The link asking
> for donations is still working.

     *** TJ I think you take liberty with the truth in your forays against
Wingfoot on this site. It seems obvious to me that a person trying to better
the Trail by actively rallying participation in it shouldn't be subject to
these tit for tat hair splittings. Especially when they are outright false
and based on personal animosity rather than fact.

    This is a copy of a letter from the head organizer of the local community
against Putnam Mine (I would appreciate an honest response from knee-jerk
detractors of advocacy). This is somewhat different than "anybody who knows
what they're talking about knows that Wingfoot did nothing for the Putnam
Mine problem..." I feel some of their other opinions show equal reckless
disregard for the truth...

    The entire letter:

  <  I want to say thank you.  Without the work you did, when you
did it -- when everybody else was hemming and hawing or checking with their
boards, as they must -- Belview mountain would be missing a big chunk of
its hide by now.  Especially nice was that when the legal team of plantiffs
did form, the work you had already done had set the stage, and our
attorneys were able to use the record you generated as a key admissible
exhibit.  I will also never forget, and am eternally grateful that when
there was some question over who would be the plaintiffs, that you offered
to be a plaintiff/intervenor if ATC decided they would not/could not.  It
was key to our success that they did join the case, but it gave me great
comfort to know that the hiking community would be represented in the
action even if we lost ATC -- and I will always believe that your efforts
helped fortify ATC's focus.  A pair of beautiful moments immediately come
to mind: when I went to the Attorney General's office and the Governor's
office and their staffs were doing nothing but receiving emails from your
web campaign, cussing you(!), that is what put us on the map!  (You don't
know this, because I would never have done anything to disturb the work I
had already interrupted by coming into your life, but I had a number of
people at the state level approach me who saw the web site and asked if I
would refer them to you for your services.  I said "hell no, he's busy
saving the Roan Highlands ...."  They had never seen a more effective
campaign.  One guy is a lobbyist for health care issues in the state and I
think he has tried to use your format as a blueprint.)  Here's the bottom
line:  Without the trailplace campaign we had a standard-issue citizen
lawsuit on our hands, with you, we had a bald-grass rebellion that
literally brought the machinery of the state to a standstill until they
would hear us!  I hope you're well and had a super holiday.  See you on the
Hump this Spring!

Jay

PS.  Feel free to pass this email along to any doubters, or put them in
touch with me ....

Jay Erskine Leutze
Box 52
Minneapolis, NC  28652