[at-l] The importance of maps

really good post, but I think reckless is a bit of an overstatement for
some people - just depends on one's comfort level with survival skills,
what one packs, and what other information one carries.  For instance, a
very light "Golight" hiker with little survival training could be in
serious trouble getting lost for just a day or two in lousy weather, but
an experienced hiker with some extra stuff might view the detour as just
another adventure . . . personally, I like maps, but felt I had enough
information without them using my CD trail data printouts, my 35 years
of backwoods experience, and a lightweight compass . . . there are VERY
few places on the Trail where you cannot just go downhill, follow water,
etc. and reach "civilization" within 24 hours - and if the rejoinder is
"what if you are injured?" well, then a map ain't much good there
either, though one might say with the map you might be able to plot a
shorter course to civilization - true enough, but my instincts have
never let me down in any material way on that score . . . having said
all that, Jack's is probably most correctly summed up this way "when in
doubt, carry the maps!"

thru-thinker