Friends amazed by hiking stories (was Re: [at-l] M&M)

--- Schuyler Stultz <athikerpickle@yahoo.com> wrote:
> So, that leads to my question...  What stories from
> your hikes consistently seem to amaze your friends?
### Ahhhhhhh. [Nodding in fond remembrance of gorgings past...]
There was the time (just recently!) that Stitches and I hit a
Chinese buffet whilst returning from the frozen Smokys... We
went around and around and around the buffet tables ... the
sunlight in the windows came and went, flowers drooped, seasons
changed, .... and still we got up for plate after plate.
Eventually, as we were leaving, they were changing the sign on
the place -- apparently we'd outlasted the original owners.
Never saw that happen before....

There was the time (also just recently!) in moving Hoosierland's
own Missing Kink from High Land to Indy.... Another AYCE Chinese
Buffet. Me and boysens... plate after plate after plate... when
suddenly, the three of us looked up to find all the other
volunteers at the table staring across at us, open mouthed. Or
fingers drumming. Eyes pleading. Or shaking off a
cobweb-spinning spider who saw the attractive geometry of idle
hand against slack jaw. The boys and I, amazed, kept on. How can
one depart a Chinese buffet without, as the Hobbits are wont to
say, "filling in the corners?" Curious, I am.

Sloetoe
(who found out, as he was *leaving*, that his 52 pancakes
earned him second place (first loser) at the AYCE camp
breakfast just short of the famously wadeable Kennebec.)

=====
Spatior, Nitor, Nitor, In Nitor!