[at-l] Keeping your pack dry: Nikwax vs. Rain Cover vs. Garbage bag

the key is whether what is inside gets wet or stays dry . . . :)
one can focus on the pack with a pack cover, or on using waterproof
stuff sacks or garbage bags inside - I've tried it all and would offer
these conclusions:
1)  Cheapo garbage bags on outside actually keep more water out, but
tear easily . . .
2)  coated nylon pack covers do ok, but do let some water get in over
time, and are heavier than garbage bags - given the amount of vegetation
on the trail, though, these are not a bad choice
3)  Dana Designs makes a right kewl pack cover that comes with an
integrated hood - great idea - keeps water from running down between
your pack and your back . .  it actually works great in winter, because
it traps a lot of heat, but too much heat trapping in summer, and it is
heavier and more expensive than most other pack covers
4)  There's no such thing as a long term water proof pack, but some are
getting close . . .
5)  Best line of defense in OR's sealcoat stuffsacks for the key things
(bag and clothes), but - again - garbage bags work plenty well enough if
you are careful, and they are lighter and cheaper, to boot!

Have fun!

thru-thinker