[at-l] Keeping your pack dry: Nikwax vs. Rain Cover vs. Garbage bag

from Pb "How do folks keep their packs dry in the rain?
Waterproofing stuff (e.g. Nikwax)?=A0 Can you soak the whole pack in wash-in=
=20
treatment?
Rain cover?=A0 Expensive?
Garbage bag? What about staps and hip belt?"
I have a Campmor pack cover, much better than garbage bags flapping around i=
n=20
the wind. Yeah, more expensive ($15) and more weight (5oz v 1/2oz) but=20
sturdy, adjusts tight with cords and locks. I've used both, and none. YMMV.
I've waterproofed the bottoms of packs with spray-on Scotch-Guard, but it=20
tends to get stiff, I wouldn't do a whole pack with it.=20
My ancient CampTrails external has a replaced top flap I made from a blue=20
plastic tarp. No need for a raincover at all!
Nikwax? Hmm... maybe for the sweatsoaking on the shoulder straps or where=20
your back touches?
TJ < has salty packs

multipart/alternative
  text/html