[at-l] Trail Etiquette

This is a subject I would be interested to hear more on; my experience
was just the opposite - older couple, good hikers, would come to a
shelter at about 4:30 p.m. each day to be sure they got the best spots;
they'd be ready to turn in about 7-8 p.m., and then expected "quiet
hours to run from about 8:30 p.m. thru 5:30 a.m. next morning - they
tried to be quiet when they got up, but it was tough for them not to
wake others . . . it kinda surprised me to have them yell at us for
talking at 9:30 p.m. one rainy night when a single hiker came in late
and was trying to cook before hitting the hay . . . I guess the moral is
not that anyone is right or wrong, just that when it comes to sleeping
in a shelter, one has to be prepared for all extremes - which is why I
tended to become more and more interested in camping away from the
shelters as my hike wore on . . . but, I always liked the social aspect
. . . life is full of compromises! :)

thru-thinker