[at-l] 15 billion light yrs.

At 11:32 AM 1/21/02 -0800, Amy Friends Stone wrote:
> >   "When I find the answer to that," she said,
> > "I'll make my peace with the world."
> > -- Ayn Rand
> >   from "The Fountainhead"
>
>David and Goliath syndrome, eh?  Why do these two see
>"feeling small" as such a bad thing?  It's a literal
>sensation of the sheer difference in size, in
>magnitude of power.  It's a recognition of the reality
>of the relationship.  Those skylines and tunnels can
>be obliterated in moments by a force greater than
>man's.  It is man's spirit (and some bit of arrogance)
>that tackles nature in the first place, and
>eventually, man will suffer even more greatly because
>he changes too much with too little knowledge of the
>long term effects.

The philosophy espoused by Ayn Rand is based solely on material reality and
does not acknowledge any power beyond Man (see
http://www.aynrand.org/objectivism/io.html for her own synopsis).  Within
that ego center limited view of the universe she defines her vision of
truth.  One of the things I have learned over the years is that it is easy
to understand objective reality in a superficial way but that there is
always a more profound reality hidden beneath.  It is that more profound
reality that leads to the 'Ah Ha!' experience and a full understanding of
our place in creation.  I confess to having only limited exposure to Ms.
Rand's philosophy.  From what I read it left me cold.  She never gets
beyond objective reality and denies the existence of anything beyond
objective reality.  There is nothing in the philosophy of self interest
that gives meaning to my life.

sAunTerer