[at-l] OT: "Slavery" or Domestic Relations Law

Slavery means more than "involuntary servitude" . . . it includes property rights in another human being, rights which go beyond the mere right to the fruits of another's labor, to permit one to purchase and sell another . . . otherwise, prisoners and children would qualify as slaves. (In Georgia, for example, a parent is entitled by law to all the fruits of his or her children's labor !!)

While I have my own philosophical and jurisprudential beefs with the domestic relations laws and policies in this country, I do not have a beef with the principle that a parent should support his or her children with, at a minimum, money, which in fact is all the law requires. The law cannot make a non-custodial parent pay any attention to, much less love, a child. My beef has more to do with how we impliment and enforce the principle to pay money, when the parent paying has none, through no fault of his or hers, to pay; and with how slowly the legal system catches up to what happens to the personal economies of the parents subject to both sides of a child support order . . . Parenthood does not end with a divorce . . .