[at-l] the Official Brief GA RUCK report

Hey all!

Just got back to Destin an hour ago. Trooper and I had somewhat farther to
go than most...besides we tried to take a short cut to Ellijay and ended up
someplace called Doublehead Gap Road. As we drove along all of a sudden we
spied a small, nearly unnoticeable sign that said "Springer 6.5 Miles". Of
course, we just had to see where it went!

Last night's fog and freezing temperatures had produced an abundance of hoar
frost that was busy raining out of the trees with every step we took up
Springer We met the Irish guys, they actually made it to the shelter - but
not dry. At least two of them had wet sleeping bags and the temps at the top
dipped to 28 last night. (I wouldn't know, I was in the Lodge with the air
conditioner on all night.) There were also a lot of day hikers and more than
a few section hikers out.

Don't let OB's droll sense of humor fool you, this was one heck of a ruck!
Even the freezing rain didn't dampen spirits any. Just wait a few days for
Milt to get the pictures up and you can check out your favorite listers
while they check out Kurt's Nomads - in the rain. There were even a couple
of hammock campers! The chili cook-off was great, but we got there too late
to enter ours, no matter, there was more than enough to go around.

The only complaint I heard the whole time we were there was that there
weren't enough Blueberry Pancakes...funny but I seem to remember hearing
that last year too! Honestly, OB must have made about a zillion pancakes
Saturday morning, and they were all gone.

There was the required session of Tuckerizing courtesy of Stray Cat (did I
get her trail name right?) who was an exceptionally good sport about it. I
think they actually let her keep what Friar Tuck didn't...

Spur and Ready brought photo albums. You know, you go to visit the Brown's
and you get the slide show of "what we did for vacation...only this was
WAAAAY better! Spur is a really great photographer! Which brings us to the
post where I left off the great digital camera comparison.

I brought my S110 and another lister had the Nikon. We sat there for two
hours comparing them side-by-side, and the winner is...drum roll please...a
tie. The Nikon is fractionally lighter, a little cheaper and has some neat
features. The Canon is more durable, a little faster and slightly smaller.
We decided it was a matter of personal preference, too close to call. (You
out there Woodelf?)

Finally, I want to go on record as being the first to suggest that we have
next year's GA Ruck at the same place. It had everything we need (except on
street parking) and something for every budget. The only change that I would
make is that now that I know the layout (heck, I didn't know half of that
stuff was there) I would get in touch with the staff and block out some
campsites and cabins in advance next time.

So much for the news, pictures at eleven...

Lee I Joe