[at-l] Appalachian Trail

Hi Kathryn

I'm an old time hiker but I am just getting back to it after many years.  My
first step was to read everything I could find.

The best sources IMHO is the trail journals of those who have done it.  Look
especially at those who didn't make it.  Some sites are

http://www.fred.net/kathy/at/journal.html
http://www.trailjournals.com/

You'll find more as you trace down links.

Several general purpose sites:

http://www.atconf.org/
http://www.fred.net/kathy/at.html
http://www.aldha.org/

Good books:
The Backpackers Handbook: Chris Townsend (The Bible!)
The Thru Hikers Companion (ALDHA)
A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson (Fun - some would say how not to do it)

http://www.atctrailstore.org/
Has all the official guides plus an assortment of other stuff.

But don't just read - Go Do IT!.

Good luck.
Pb