[at-l] Reply to Solar Bear:

    Was gonna let this one go by, as Felix already replied to it quite well,
but I feel compelled to respond the to the extraordinary comments expressed
by Solar Bear.

    In commenting on the Doyle matter, SB writes (and no ellipses, this is a
direct quote):

    "In my opinion, which I expressed to the board, we did see some ugliness
that Friday night.  No, not in the poetry that Warren read, but in the
intolerance shown by those who walked out and expressed their disgust."

    Well, that's his opinion.  I'd like to ask SB why he thinks the reaction
of much of the crowd was "intolerant."  Were they supposed to sit there,
rapt and adoring, thrilled and honored to be hearing the pearls of beauty
and truth dropping from Warren's lips?  Were they supposed to join Mr. Bear
in applause for what they'd just heard?   Were they supposed to feel
gratitude that they were privileged to hear such things?

    Give me a break, OK?  There was nothing, I repeat NOTHING rude, ugly, or
intolerant about walking out on the pathetic performance of an
attention-starved egotist who gave not a moments thought to the feelings,
sentiments, and considerations of the hundreds of people in his captive
audience, who were forced to listen to his blatherings, regardless of their
tone, or content.  And there was nothing brave about Doyle's
comments----arrogance would be more like it:  He knew perfectly well how his
comments would come off; he knew perfectly well how his comments would
affect many of the people in the room; he knew perfectly well how offensive
and patently insulting his comments would be taken by much of his
audience---and he goes ahead and does it anyway.  This isn't courage, SB, it
is instead arrogance, pride, and complete inconsideration of the feelings of
anyone other than himself.

     Solar Bear seems to think this kind of public display is some sort of
profile in courage.  What complete, unmitigated bullshit.  Warren did what
he did because he felt it was his place to do so; he's taken advantage of an
open mike at the Gathing in the past, for years he's considered ALDHA to be
his plaything.  In the past tho, he's merely made us squirm by reading lousy
poetry.  This time, he had to go a bit further; he REALLY wanted people to
remember this particular performance.

    Well, I assure Solar Bear that in this, at any rate, he was
spectacularly successful.  They've remembered so well that it'll hopefully
be his LAST public performance.  The ALDHA Board, acting in a perfectly just
and sensible manner, has decided that Mr. Doyle is temperamentally unfit to
be entrusted with the privilege of an open microphone.  In future, if folks
wish to share his wit and wisdom, if they wish to hear the same tired
stories yet one more time; if they wish to see him impersonate Alex Trebek;
if they wish to hear about his heroics as a speed hiker several decades ago;
if they wish to hear advice and tips from a man whose best known trail
partner is a van filled with gear; if they wish to hear about how much fun
it is to allegedly thru-hike as part of a pre-planned, orchestrated, guided,
cult-oriented, group slackpack----well, guess what?  They'll have the right
to do so, provided the audience in question decides they wish to hear such
things.  Nobody is preventing Doyle from talking, SB.  He's always had ample
opportunity to speak at the Gathering, in fact, over the years, he's
probably been allotted more time as a speaker and lecturer than anyone else.

   The difference is that from here on in, people can decide for themselves
whether or not they wish to be exposed to him.  I find it remarkable that
Solar Bear, in his efforts to plant kisses on every conceivable square inch
of Warren's nether regions, actually invoked such artists as Crosby, Stills;
Jimmy Buffett; and Simon and Garfunkel.
What SB seems to have forgotten is that when one is listening to music that
one doesn't wish to hear, you can simply change stations or shut off the
radio.  And there's nothing "ugly" or "intolerant" about doing so---you're
not preventing these folks from making music or money; you're not preventing
others from listening to them.  You're merely exercising your rights by
refusing to listen, by refusing to be held a captive in their audience.
Shutting off the radio or leaving a room you find uncomfortable is not
intolerant----on the contrary, it's merely exercising one's freedom to not
have offensive speech or material FORCED on you.

    In closing, SB is entitled to his opinion, but I find it remarkable that
in informing us of our ugliness and intolerance, he said not a single word
critical of Warren's public behavior.  So yes, he's entitled to his opinion,
as well as his fawning appreciation of the gentleman in question.  Of
course, he may well be alone in his estimation, but no doubt he feels that
at least he's being courageous.

    Swimming against the tide is not, as some seem to believe, an inherently
noble, brave, or admirable thing to do.  Sometimes, it's merely the behavior
of a fool.  But I'm sure it's consolation to Mr. Doyle that on his present
channel crossing, he's not without a partner.
Bon voyage, gents.  Have a pleasant journy, and stay away as long as you
like.