[at-l] Re: AT-L digest, Vol 1 #648 - 48 msgs

>From: "Malcolm Fuller" <mfuller@somtel.com>
>   "Yes. And that particular sense of sacred rapture men say
>they experience in contemplating nature -- I've never received
>it from nature, only from..." She stopped.
>   "From what?"
>   "Buildings," she whispered. "Skyscrapers."
>...And that idea of feeling small before nature. ....What is it they fear?
>-- Ayn Rand

Since we seem to be quoting I will too :>

"'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings;
Look upon my work, ye mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The Lone and level sands stretch far away."
-from "Ozymandias" (though who wrote it ;>)

So the answer would be time. And she just can't see that time will destroy
those skyscrapers she loves so much. Though I wouldn't go so far as to say
I fear nature, I do look on it with awe. Especially in the Grand Canyon
where the time of the ages really comes through.

"It is hard saying goodbye to the canyon. The canyon has been ingrained on
my soul since my first trip down when I was only fifteen. Part of me wants
to stay in here forever as a rock on a wall near the river. Experiencing
the peace of the mornings; the violence of a thunderstorm; the heat of the
relentless afternoon sun. I would never leave the canyon, but slowly over
time erode away joining in the history of countless rocks through the
eons."  - my own quote

Daphne