[at-l] Roks, Roots, and other inconvenciences...

  Well, I was right----I shoulda read ALL of my mail before sending anything
off, I'd have been better informed.

  Hey Roks:

     1. I don't need any lectures from you on Freedom of Speech or First
Amendment rights; on matters such as these, I'm probably more liberal than
you.

     2. It has been made very clear that "free speech" is not
universal----ever heard of the case involving yelling "fire" in a crowded
theater?  The bottom line is that liberty is not license.  One DOES not have
the right to say whatever one wishes, wherever one wishes.  One usually
tempers one's speech with tact, diplomacy, decency, and common sense.

     3. I see that you acknowledge that you weren't in the audience to
personally witness the events in question, therefore you know nothing about
the immediate re-action of those present, nor their degree of palpable
disgust; in short, you're commenting on circumstances you have NO personal
knowledge or actual experience with.  Excuse me, but this does somewhat
limit your ability to talk rationally about the subject, and it further
makes you completely unworthy to judge whether or not my description of the
episode was factual, complete, fair, or accurate.  In short, you're talking
about something you really don't know anything about personally.

    4.  You complete your letter with the extraordinary comment:  "BJack,
don't burn the stage because you were offended by the play....."
        Ya know, Roks, once upon a time I reviewed theater and film, and the
aboslute CARDINAL, unforgiveable sin was to attempt to review a theatrical
or cinematic work that the reviewer hadn't actually seen.  Writers tried
this, of course, usually, with dire results:  They made fools out of
themselves in print, and frequently lost their jobs.  In short, Roks, please
give some thought to further discussion of this, but at the very least, it's
more than a little amusing to see you admonishing me about burning the stage
when you yourself were not privy to the performance.  That's one way of
putting it.   Here's another:  I respect your right to comment on any
subject you wish, in any way you wish, and as often as you wish. That's what
"free speech" means.   However, in regards to this particular subject, your
commentary is unfortunately colored by the fact that you simply don't know
what the hell you're talking about.  Give it a rest.