[at-l] Re: Ultralight Digital Cameras - LONG!

I got a few replies from my reply and rather than respond to
each individually, I decided to do it all at once and let
myself ramble.  I hope this is helpful to SOMEBODY.  Please
excuse me...

> But are they [digital cameras] a good choice for an >
extended hike?

They can be, but they are an electronic device and like any
other electronic device, even a good film camera, they must
be kept dry - which isn't always easy.  I pack mine in a
ziplock or a lightweight waterproof case.

> Aren't the
> present battery and memory limits just a little
> too constraining?

The battery problem isn't so bad if you carry spares.  You'd
have to carry spares for a decent film camera anyway.  Of
course, you have to carry the charger too, if you intend to
recharge at a stop.  The memory issue is a problem, which is
why I use a Sony that burns the images to CD.

> I doubt that there are as many "weather
> resistant" versions
> out there as are for film cameras, either.

No, there aren't, but they are out there.  If you take
proper care of it, you shouldn't have a problem.

> If the final output is intended to be a high
> resolution digital
> image, then wouldn't scanning a 35mm negative or
> slide be a better
> solution?  If the goal is a large print, then
> wouldn't film
> be better to start with?

The answer depends on what you are trying to do with your
photography.  There is a difference between a snapshot, a
picture, and a photograph.  If you want snapshots of your
trip (see, I was there), then just carry a cheap film
camera, or better yet, a disposable camera.  If you want to
take pictures (see, I was there, and isn't this lovely),
then carry a decent film camera or digital camera.  If you
want to take photograph (that invoke the WOW response), then
you need to take real equipment.

If your goal is very large prints (greater than 12 X 14),
then you should use a film camera.  I routinely make 8X10s
from my digital images that are crystal clear.

Scanning a photo is never as good as an original digital
image - even with the expensive stuff I've got at work.  You
have to think of what you want to do with your images and
make your choice there.

I use a Sony Mavica CD-300, and got these questions:

>How much do the disc cost?

On E-Bay, less than a dollar each.  Your cost per shot is
somewhere around two cents.  Beat that with a film camera!

>Can you shoot 1200 pictures with only 3 batteries?

That depends on flash use, and other factors - like how long
do you leave it on between shots?  I've easily gotten 600
shots without a recharge.  I've never used three whole
batteries even if I'm out seven or eight days.

>Also what is the negative side of this camera, what
>would you change if you could?

The biggest negative is that it's an electronic device
without any water or moisture resistance at all.  While I've
taken many thousands of shots without problems, I feel that
this is the biggest negative.  Second, if I had my choice,
I'd like to be able to use regular batteries for very
extended treks, but only the rechargeable are available.

> They are great for an immediate "show and tell"
> on the web. Like:
> http://www.kichline.com/chuck/Centex/bsp
>
> Chuck Kichline

Chuck's photographs are a very good example of nice outdoor
photography.  All of the images are good, and the fungi
photos are excellent.  (Good work Chuck!)

I am a photography nut, and I carry way too much equipment
for most people - but here's the list.

Sony MVC-CD300 (medium heavy)
Slik Tripod (very light)
10 CDRs (pre-initalised)(weigh almost nothing - lighter than
film)
3 Batteries
External Flash unit & batteries (heavy)
Telephoto lens (medium heavy)
Wide Angle lens (medium heavy)

Depending on where I'm going, and what I'm photographing, I
may leave one or both extra lenses behind.  I may leave the
tripod behind and use my walking stick as a monopod.  I also
have a palm sized tripod that weighs two ounces that I like
to carry if I don't bring the Slik.

I don't have any hiking photos up yet, but if anyone is
interested, there are lots of photos taken with this camera
on my website:  www.theplacewithnoname.com

Shane