[at-l] Talking wilderness

At 08:56 PM 1/17/02 -0600, Pat Villeneuve wrote:

>A bit off topic, but we're using a wonderful Apache blessing at our wedding.
>Chocolate
>
>Rogene Beers wrote:
>
> > So Shane what do the spirits tell you?  Some say the Cherokee Indians can
> > hear the trees talking to them and they report they are sad when we destroy
> > them.

IMHO, that's bull.  Well maybe if we destroy them, for
no good purpose but that's really hard to do that to  a tree.
Even arson does not destroy them, just changes their
form and time line.
Speaking only of the ones that talk to me:
They know what their role is.  They are no more upset
if man cuts them than if beaver does.  If they are treasured
by the beaver as his home or the man as his home, it's
OK.   They are just content being useful, whether in their
growing mode as food or shelter or in post growing mode
as a crib or a wonderous book  (although they don't
understand the concept of books, I think they would approve).

Maybe because their ilk is capable of such longevity, they seem
to see the big picture....that everything serves a purpose.  If
they live a long life doing the work of shade and filter or if they
are browsed to death as a sapling, they don't seem to care as
both are valid purposes.

Speaking personally, and based purely on intuition, since no
tree I ever spoke with would admit to ego or longing, I think they
really relish being treasured.  When I pick up a root or fallen
branch that has achieved a attractive form, and take it home
with me, I think they get a kick out of it.

Note......all this applies to woods trees.  City trees don't
seem to want to talk to me, except for the three horse chestnut
trees on Arch Street who remember me as a child who collected
and treasured their fruit.

nder what they are saying about the gypsey moth plague.