[at-l] Re: (at-l) Leeches??? (and Roaches)

> Lets see here, we have leeches (yech, but in
> about the same class as ticks), etc, etc...

Living in New Orleans, we do a lot of hiking in in swampy
areas.  While I have never encountered leeches down here,
and ticks are relatively rare, there are a great abundance
of roaches, mosquitoes, ants, mosquitoes, spiders,
mosquitoes, flies and gnats of various kinds, and
mosquitoes.  In the swamp you quickly learn that DEET is
effective, but eventually they will ignore it.  You also
learn how to build a triangle of three smudge fires to keep
them away.

On a side note, I nave never had trouble with bears, even
though I have seen a few Black Bears in Louisiana.
Alligators, in my opinion are far worse, and I have had more
than my fair share of run-ins with them.

Shane