[at-l] Problems in Erwin and Solutions! Long

Erwin has certainly had its problems in the past and
even in the not so distant past! I started a project
of oral histories when I was about 13 and I learned
more about true Erwin history than anyone will ever
see written down.  I met and interviewed witnesses to
the infamous "Hanging of the elephant".  My
grandmother was an 8 year old child and remembered it
very well.  I was very interested in racism and could
not really understand what the fuss was all about.  I
still don't! My father was an engineer on the railroad
and told me to talk to some of the "old hands".  They
proved to be disturbingly willing to talk about
incidents like a black man who was 'Tarred, feathered
and forced to ride himself out of town on a hand
car.." This mans mistake had been to "mess" with a
white woman.  Later I found out that the man and woman
were living together for years in the "shack town"
built by the railroad for their laborers. Their small
children were left fatherless as far as I know.  The
story for years was that we had signs on either end of
town that said "Whites Only"  This was not really
true... the signs said Whites because that is the name
of a local grocery store chain!!
 My father had pet names for every race on the planet.
 I think he was one of the most prejudiced men I ever
knew!  Most of my class mates at school here in Erwin
used the same names and were often very hate filled
and angry when they said them.  I was born in Texas
and lived there off and on until I was about 10.  I
grew up speaking as much Spanish as English and I knew
Black kids, Oriental kids, Indian kids... And as far
as I could tell most of my Erwin classmates had never
met representatives of any of the groups they were so
afraid of.  Ignorance.  Prejudice usually comes down
to the fear of something you know very little about.
I, like DaRedhead, have raised my children to
appreciate the differences in people and enjoy the
diversity!  When we lived in a more culturally diverse
area it was much easier.  It became a challenge when
we moved back to Erwin...  My girls are doing great
but they often have trouble with racist comments, name
calling, etc among their classmates. Erwin still has a
long way to go.  In 2000 I met the Godfather a black
man who was on his second thruhike.  His first had
been in the early eighties.  It was interesting to
hear about his experiences and thoughts about E R W I
N. Over the past few years I have noticed an increase
in the numbers of ethnic hikers and it would be
interesting to collect their stories.
But the yokels and stupid people still exist here, I
am sorry to say.  These rednecks enjoy the look of
fear and anger on a persons face when they swerve the
truck at them... They are the kind that make hitting
small animals with a 2 ton truck into Sat night
entertainment!  I have little hope for them!  But,
there is a larger number of people in Erwin, even some
of the native Erwinittes, that have much better
attitudes and support change.  These are the same
people that have learned that you long haired, smelly,
HIKERS are NOT really homeless people with no where
else to go.  They are learning that the wild eyed look
they see on your face is probably because you just saw
the Pizza Hut sign!  Most of them can't understand WHY
you would want to walk 15 miles a day... they drive
down to the mail box every afternoon!  They see you
bearded and sometimes dirty...briskly walking down the
street with two funny looking poles with weird things
tied around your legs and you are carrying this HUGE
pack on your back with all kinds of things tied to
it... face it, no matter how HIKER FRIENDLY Erwin
becomes,  some of them will never get it! My mother
started helping hikers over 30 years ago so my
brothers and sisters and I grew up knowing what you
were doing... and I still know some of you are crazy!
(But I love you anyway!)
The general attitude towards hikers has improved over
the past few years.  First, the numbers of hikers
coming into town has increased drastically so local
people have gotten more used to seeing you and your
gear doesn't look so strange anymore.  Uncle Johnnies
efforts with the Chamber of Commerce, the Kiwanis Club
and the business people in town has also helped
improve the attitude.  Things like regular radio
interviews with hikers, newspaper stories, the
community Easter and Thanksgiving meals, etc.. have
all helped to educate the local people and to get them
interested in what you are doing...in a positive way.
One church has a mens Hiker Ministry that gives hikers
rides when ever they see them, cook huge meals for
hikers at the trail heads and are always willing to
help if a hiker is in need.
My children are great advocates for hikers among their
friends who are always curious about "all those hikers
getting out of your Moms van!!!"  They think most of
you are pretty cool but they insist that we have lots
of Fabreeze on hand! The girls have met hikers from
all over the world and they stay in touch with many of
them.  So you are providing the cultural diversity I
wish for my children.  Through the hiking community
they have learned that Erwin is only a very small
corner of the world... many of their friends will
never understand that!  I would like to plan more
educational opportunities for the people in this area.
 Many have the Appalachian Trail running practically
through the back yard yet they know nothing about it.
Very few of the young people that live here ever learn
to enjoy hiking or care about the effort it has taken
to develop and maintain the AT.

Miss Janet

www.geocities.com/missjanetshouse