[at-l] This 'n That & That 'n This

In a message dated 1/17/02 3:43:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
baltimorejack@hotmail.com writes:

> Edmund Burke once said that
> the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to stand
> by
> and do nothing.

   *** Yes true, but you have to be even in the distribution. Many fights are
not taken on because they are simply too difficult, politically unattractive,
or the enemy too strong. Rhetorically speaking: for instance, we just
installed a fairly corrupt regime in Afghanistan that steals our donated
charity food and sells it back to us at gunpoint. Hotels are dens of
corruption where foreigners are forced to pay exorbitant fees for lodgings
and protection to the right people. Many have their equipment confiscated and
sold back to them, or outright stolen. The roads there are dangerous for
travel due to banditry and general instability. This is a heavily armed
warlord culture and not a progressive society grateful for their liberation.
The new regime will probably boost opium production to gain hard cash in the
free market in order to right their economy. Inevitably this will be turned
into heroin that will come to American streets to take its deadly toll (I
think we extradited Noriega on the same grounds). I'm not sure what my point
is here, but I'm still bugged by something. One thing that bugs me is the
rumor that 5000 innocent civilians were killed by haphazard bombing targeting
and no mention of this has come through on our free media. I guess we have a
free media until the government orders otherwise. The targets were always
"legitimate targets" even though they were either caravans of allies, or
civilian houses. The attention span of the American public has not called for
the truth just yet. Also, did you know that the Freedom of Information Act
was recently overridden by Ashcroft for the War on Terrorism? Elsewhere,
though they are facing a similar opponent, the Israelis are currently
bulldozing down innocent civilian housing in order to secure their state. I
can't remember ever hearing of any convention allowing direct retaliation
against innocent civilians for purposes of putting pressure on the enemy.
Yes, the suicide bombers do the same thing -but not with the backing,
propaganda, and blessing of our powerful government. That seems slightly
hypocritical to me. In fact, I think the mike is turned off on that too and
the topic is not permitted in mainstream media. If you have rights at home
you should endorse them elsewhere. Because: (See above)

      Could I suggest that in his own weird way maybe Warren thought he was
'doing something'? As for Warren, the Trail has always been a sanctuary for
open expression. No need to force normal political sensitivities onto it.
Perhaps those interested in that should seek another venue like a political
party or national marching club. Let the Trail be a home to visionaries,
kooks, crackpots and weirdos with a slightly different view on things. Looks
to me like leaving the mikes open would be a good idea...

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---