[at-l] 15 billion light yrs.

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Malcolm Fuller wrote:

> > if this won't make you feel small, nothing will!
>
> [smite]
>
> "The sage as astronomer: As long as you still experience
> the stars as something 'above you,' you lack the eye of
> knowledge."
>
> Friedrich Nietzsche
> from "Beyond Good and Evil"
>
> -MF

Hear hear!

Down with mediocrity.  If you assume something to be above you, you assume
yourself to be inferior.

(the following is not meant to offend anyone's religion, nor to worship
Rand, just to make a point)

"Do you believe in God, Andrei?"

"No."

"Neither do I. But thats a favorite question of mine. An upside-down
question, you know."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, if I asked people whether they believed in life, theyd never
understand what I meant. Its a bad question. It can mean so much that it
really means nothing. So I ask them if they believe in God. And if they
say they do then, I know they dont believe in life."

"Why?"

"Because, you see, God, whatever anyone chooses to call God, is ones
highest conception of the highest possible. And whoever places his highest
conception above his own possibility thinks very little of himself and his
life. Its a rare gift, you know, to feel reverence for your own life and
to want the best, the greatest, the highest possible, here, now, for your
very own."

      --Ayn Rand, "We the Living"

To make it trail related: I think hiking the trail makes you a more
complete person, and less of the average mediocre couch potato that seems
to represent the average American.

-brian

--
Brian C. Merrell               | "All that glitters is not gold,
brian@patriot.net              |  All who wander are not lost."