[at-l] (OT) Woody Hayes

> FYI, around here Woody is remembered as a coach who cared for and helped his
> student-athletes. He always made sure they knew the primary reason they were
> at OSU was to get an education and a degree. The street that is named after
> him on the campus was not just for his win/loss record as football coach
> (although that helped).
> Dave Hughes
> Columbus, OH

	Sure. I was there during his final years as coach - born in Columbus,
grew up outside of Marysville. I was in high school when it all came
apart. There was no other news in Ohio that weekend.

	As I said, he was a great coach, for the all reasons you gave. But he
was far from perfect. In my opinion he should not have been getting into
scuffles with reporters when his team lost. He was the Head Coach of the
Ohio State Buckeyes, one of the biggest college teams in the country; he
should have kept himself above that, no matter how he really wanted to
act. I suspect that he could have saved his job despite everything, had
he played it correctly. But he didn't. Too proud perhaps.

	It was a sad way for him to end his career.

	Ron
--

yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com