[at-l] What got you into hiking and camping?

As far back as I can remember, we always spent two weeks camping and
hiking in GSMNP as a family.
I remember tramping in fresh snow following bear tracks when I was 5 or
6.

I tried being a boy scout, but I knew more than the scout master did
about the things he was trying to teach us, and all the troop wanted to
do was play dodge ball.  I quit.

I made a promise to myself when I was a teenager.  I would learn as much
as I could and teach my children all I had learned about being outdoors.
It's still my favorite pastime.

-r