OT was Re: [at-l] Respect for the "Queen of England"

At 08:05 PM 1/16/02 -0500, DaRedhead@aol.com wrote:
>This strikes a rather strong note with me.  This isn't Trail related at all.
>
>I inherited my aunt Wanda when Mom died.  She turned 68 last year.  I
>wouldn't describe her as mentally "ill", although she is legally mentally
>disabled.  She is quite capable of taking care of her personal self, but her
>mentally is somewhere around 7 or 8.

I can identify with this.  I had an aunt (my only aunt in fact) who had
scarlet fever or some such thing at the age of 13.  She nearly died and
apparently it arrested further mental development.  She did spend several
years in an institution until my mother 'sprung' her and she lived with us
for a while.  She eventually took work as a companion and lived a very
frugal existence most of her life.  Late in life she moved in with my
mother again and I could put all her belongings in the car.  No truck
needed, not even a van.  She was a very simple and loving soul though and I
had a special place in her heart because I looked like her "big brudder"
(my father).  She lived to be 89.  She could be obstinate but I have mostly
fond memories of her.

sAunTerer