[at-l] Small AT World

Section hiking contiguously year after year, following the trail in one
direction can certainly offer some unusual coincidences.  Last year I camped at
West Carry Pond, (remember the big leeches-?), and was hoping for a little
privacy, when I heard a person meandering down the trail at about dark.  She was
a reeeeaaal slow hiker,  as I'd passed her about noon that day, and I'd been set
up for about 2 hours before dark.  At any rate, I at first told her there wasn't
any space left to camp -- LIAR, then my conscience got the best of me and I
asked her to set up.  She was quite the non-stop conversationalist, but after
dinner I noticed something very familiar about her.  I asked her if she'd hiked
the Wilderness the previous year, and if she'd been left behind by her
friends,(Idon't remember where at the moment, and I don't remember her name, but
I have it in my journal), had sat on the trail, and opened a can of sardines to
munch on?
She replied, " that woulda been me!"
Mind you I didn't really stop to talk to her on our first meeting the year
before, but I didn't forget her either.
She camped right next to me at West Carry Pond and snored very loudly all night
long.  I was up before dawn and on the trial, but I never regretted meeting her
again.

This September I spent my first night at Imp Shelter when who appears but Brad
Voles, aka Sourball.  I stayed with him at Carlo Col shelter my last night on
the trail last year.  Brad is a memorable character, and I'd stayed with him at
Pine Ellis last year, too.  He wrote a story for the Bangor Times-News-whatever,
about hiking the Mahoosuc Range and sent me a copy.  Small world.

Ron