[at-l] Re: Deeper subjects - the Trail and Sept 11

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Rami wrote:

> Brian C Merrell (can I get a pair of boots from you?) said:
>
> >The moment a cop starts asking me for more than my name is the moment I
> >ask to either see a warrant (and a lawyer) or let me go on my merry
> way.
>
> >(OK, never been in that situation, but that's what I would do....)
>

> First, let me preface my response by saying this:  I have never been in
> that situation either.
> I have been a delinquent and broken several laws.  I've just never been
> caught. (or suspected)

I've only broken traffic laws, so....

> Second, I am a medium tan complected male (born and raised in the U.S.)
> with dark hair, a dark beard, a big (Arabic) nose, and to top it all
> off, my name is Rami Karim Ben Hameda and my father is Abdul Hamid
> Mustafa Ben Hameda.

Hmmm.  Yeah, I guess the situation would be different for me.  I'm a tall,
light haired, light skinned, college guy.  My appearance screams suburbia.
The fact that we would be treated differently is a terrible thing, but is
reality I suppose.

[...]
> Knowledge of civil rights as they apply to police activity is not my
> forte, but I've come to the conclusion that it will need to be soon.
> Several of my friends are city, county, and state cops.  The first thing
> they say is that nothing sets off their alarm quicker than an
> uncooperative person.

I didn't say I'd be impolite; on the contrary, I think the key IS to be
very nice, even if you refuse to give them what they want.

("No officer, I was going the speed limit."  "Yes sir, I'm sure."  "Yes,
I'll drive safely, officer."  I've only had one bad cop experience.)

Hopefully the cops around the trail would know what the AT is, so seeing
the scruffy hiker wouldn't set them off too much.

-brian

--
Brian C. Merrell               | "All that glitters is not gold,
brian@patriot.net              |  All who wander are not lost."