[at-l] Re: Deeper subjects - the Trail and Sept 11

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Jim and/or Ginny Owen wrote:

[...]
> "weapons" for at least 20 years.  I expect they'll add Lekis to the list as
> well.  What else is gonna be a problem?  Lighters, maybe?  As Dave said - do
> you have any "powder" in your food bag?  Not just in your maildrops - but in
> your pack.

My roommate just went to Florida for a funeral.  He is a big workout guy,
and uses creatine, that stuff you get at the local GNC or whatever.
Needless to say, he decided it would be best not to push his luck by
bringing a baggie of white powder on a plane to Florida. :)

> Sooner or later, Amtrak may get around to some of the same type
> restrictions.  The hound (Grey type) has been the standby of the low income
> crowd for a long time - it may also have some new rules to play by soon.
> Both Amtrak and Greyhound will also likely start demanding ID - something
> that's gonna upset some people.  Do you have a passport?

I have been discussing this topic with a few people -- keep in mind that
I'm in college, and I mingle with all parts of the political spectrum,
from ultra-paranoid "strong man" individualist types to quasi police state
types.  The question, of course, is at what point does it become too much?
Recently there was a push by the US DOT to link all the state DMV/MVA
databases, and to have biometric data encoded on the license (a la Georgia
with the thumbprint, but even further).

My main argument is that it really becomes a privacy issue when they start
asking for thumbprints, etc.  First thing is, when will they start asking
for blood samples, voice prints, and DNA?  Second is, lawsuits have
already been won about banks that require a fingerprint to cash a check;
this constitutes an illegal search, at least until you've committed a
crime and there is a warrant signed by a judge.  So how can the DMV do it?
Well, I suppose the state could argue that you are signing up for the
privelege of getting a license, but the state itself requires proper ID
for so many things, this argument starts to weaken really quickly.

So, who wants to start living on the trail permanently, far enough away
from society that they don't need ID? :)  (<-- See, now this message is
actually trail-related!)

Of course, this means you can't ever travel further than you can walk, so
other continents are off limits.

> So how about "on trail"?  For one thing, it may get harder to hitch into
> towns - especially if you're a dark complected male with a beard.
>
> Fact is that thruhiking bearded males (regardless of complexion) may well be
> stopped more often by the cops and asked for identification - and
> justification.  That's speculation - but I'd bet a cup of coffee on it.

The moment a cop starts asking me for more than my name is the moment I
ask to either see a warrant (and a lawyer) or let me go on my merry way.

(OK, never been in that situation, but that's what I would do....)

-brian

--
Brian C. Merrell               | "All that glitters is not gold,
brian@patriot.net              |  All who wander are not lost."