[at-l] Re: Deeper subjects - the Trail and Sept 11

Bob wrote:
>To the extent that the events deepened the recession it is drying up
>private donations for land acquisition for the buffers needed to keep
>the trail as wild as possible. Several of us at MATC are beginning
>efforts at forming a land trust. Those in the know about such things
>caution us that the ready supply of money that has resulted in past land
>trust successes is getting scarce.

Bob -
I'll say "Thank you".  Your concern was one of the things I had in mind when
I started this mess. A lot of money is drying up - in a lot of places. This
is only one of them - and it'll get worse for a while, then it'll get better
for a while - and then ?????????.  You should probably also add the ATC as
one of the financial "victims".

The "Sanitarium" conversation - possibly not this year, but certainly by
2003, the incidence of "homeless" is likely to rise on the Trail.  Funds are
also drying up for the shelters, counselling centers and other services that
keep them close to the cities.  Some of them may find the Trail to be a
convenient place to retreat for a while.  And not all of them are as
rational or harmless as Peggy was.

On a more mundane level, the "maildrop" problems were discussed, but what
was missed was the "transportation" problem.  For years, there have been
problems with transporting stoves on airlines - that's not new and it ain't
gonna improve for the hikers.  In addition, your knife and nail clippers are
now officially "terrorist weapons" - don't get caught carrying them if you
fly.  Then there are your Lekis - and even Weary's rod (no - can't be - a
rod is a gun - must be his staff).  Anyway, prior experience is that
airlines frown on both rods and staffs - they've considered them to be
"weapons" for at least 20 years.  I expect they'll add Lekis to the list as
well.  What else is gonna be a problem?  Lighters, maybe?  As Dave said - do
you have any "powder" in your food bag?  Not just in your maildrops - but in
your pack.

Sooner or later, Amtrak may get around to some of the same type
restrictions.  The hound (Grey type) has been the standby of the low income
crowd for a long time - it may also have some new rules to play by soon.
Both Amtrak and Greyhound will also likely start demanding ID - something
that's gonna upset some people.  Do you have a passport?

So how about "on trail"?  For one thing, it may get harder to hitch into
towns - especially if you're a dark complected male with a beard.

Fact is that thruhiking bearded males (regardless of complexion) may well be
stopped more often by the cops and asked for identification - and
justification.  That's speculation - but I'd bet a cup of coffee on it.

Toey's right in one respect - although some of them will be out there "In
Memoriam" and a few more for healing, most of those "on Trail" this year
won't be directly affected by it while they're actually out there.  It's the
getting there, getting home and getting in and out of town that'll be the
most noticeable.

But how about the next year when the Feds start to really catch up on
internal security?  Do we really want to go there right now?  Naaah - later.

For my part, this horse has been beaten sufficiently for now. Additional
ideas are, of course, always welcome.

The next question is gonna have to wait till tomorrow (or maybe tonight) - I
don't have time to put it together right now.

Walk softly,
Jim