[at-l] Let's put together a gear list! The GREAT GEAR LIST CHALLENGE

Jay wrote:
>Hello Everyone
>My hiking partner for this year's thruhike has been working
> >internationally for several years now and in Thailand for the last 6
>months.

>She is currently acclimated to the warm climates found in SE Asia and
>Africa and sleeps cooler.

>We expect to start a NOBO AT thru in the 3rd or 4th week of February.

>In addition, we have decided upon a preference to avoid sleeping in >the
>shelters when possible.

Jay -
Tough order - you left out a couple vital points - like - will you share
gear? - and how much? That affects tent, stove, cooking gear, water filter
and first aid choices.  Shared gear means a lighter pack for both of you.

But - there's no reason why you can't pick up a sleeping pad (we use 3/4
length Ridgerests for long hikes) and a sleeping bag for her.  I'd suggest a
WARM sleeping bag (10*?) given where she's coming from and the early start
date.  With dryloft or equivalent.

Clothing is another matter - some time ago I posted what I wear/pack on the
trail, but given the differences in acclimatization and hiking season, I'd
suggest a little warmer clothing for her.  Basic clothing comes down to
hiking clothes, camp clothes, and rain gear.  Warm hats and gloves are a
necessity - we prefer wool or fleece hats, fleece mittens and MTS or
Capilene glove liners. Boots will be tough cause there's no break-in time,
so I'd go with lightweight boots that require minimal (or no) break-in.  She
should wear the hiking socks she'll use on the Trail when she's buying the
boots.  Lekis (or equivalent) are handy, but optional - we each use one.
Two is good for "go-fast" mode, but we don't do that no mo' (at least not
much) so we only carry one each (which we also use for the tent).  Rain gear
- we've used Frogg Toggs (jackets only) - they work for us, but again, given
the circumstances she might want something a little longer.   I just got a
Precip jacket but it hasn't been out in the rain yet.  Ginny and I both use
convertible Supplex pants - took us a long time to try them, then we found
that they're great.  They're warm when it's cold, rainy, windy or snowy,
they keep the bugs off, they dry fast and they can be converted to shorts
when it gets warm.  We also use Supplex shirts - for the same reasons.
Underwear is Patagonia - cause we got them on sale a long time ago. Properly
cared for, they don't shrink, stink or run. Improperly cared for, they can
do all of the above.  I also carry a "giant" bandanna - it's great as a
towel, headgear, pot wiper, bandage (it saved Ginny's life on the CDT),
whatever.

Now - "assuming" you'll be sharing gear -
For 2 of us, we use a Whisperlite International stove - and have for several
thruhikes and a lot of other miles - but there are other opinions out there.
  I think you might have been here for the Great Stove Debate last month.
You might look that up and see what was said - I don't recommend alcohol for
couples, but there's bound to be some couple who have used it and love it.
Zip is a possibility if you're willing to fuss with it, canister is cleanest
and simplest if you're willing to maildrop fuel.

We also use the Nomad 2for2 tent - but you might not be able to get one in
the time frame you're looking at.  We used a Clip Flashlite before we got
the Nomad - it works for us and it's one of the lighter choices. Ther are
those who have used tarps on the AT - but I don't think I'd do that - but
that's me.

Cooking gear - for the two of us, we use 2 Lexan spoons, a Titanium 2 liter
pot, 1 (one) lightweight plastic cup and 1 (one) lightweight plastic bowl
that we got at REI.  One of us eats out of the pot - the other gets the
bowl, which doubles as a second cup.  Pot scrubber (cut in quarters and put
some in maildrops) in a Ziploc bag and 2 lighters complete the kitchen.  Oh
- for the pot - we sometimes don't carry the lid.  A piece of aluminum foil
works if it becomes necessary.  Lids are necessary "at altitude" (above 6000
ft) but not generally on the AT.

Water filter - we carry a Pur Hiker.  Other options are available.  Almost
any of them will work on the AT.  Make sure you know the advantages and
disadvantages of each before you commit your money.

Other things - we always carry rope (~50' of paracord or equivalent), a
flashlight (VERY small), maps, trowel (actually an aluminum tent stake), TP,
journal and pens, wallet (a ziploc bag) and a knife (3", 2 oz).

One thing to note here - the Georgia AT in Feb is WINTER - not spring.
Remember, you won't be at sea level, you'll be at 4000'.  It's a different,
much colder and sometimes whiter world.

Finally - if she wants to talk to Ginny (there are always "female" questions
when you talk trail), let us know and we'll make it happen(you know where to
find us).  Ginny's done 4 thruhikes as well as several thousand miles of
other backpacking.  And she's helped a lot of people with their hikes. I'm
sure some of the other women on the list would also be willing to reassure
her.  And I just volunteered my wife for something she doesn't know about -
but that I KNOW she enjoys doing.

Walk softly,
Jim