[at-l] small at world

--- "Dufresne, Aimee" <adufresne@carnegiehall.org> wrote:
> i'm sitting in a small little dive bar in the west village
> (nyc) very late last night and randomly meet a section hiker
who during the summer leads kids on the at in maine and in the
winter lives here in nyc working at rei.

###
Memorial Day Weekend, 1979: Coming off of Mt. Rogers (8+" of
sneaux) in shorts and a wool shirt, hitting Apple Orchard
shelter at sunset. Field had a big, swoopy domey tent in one
corner. When I got back from getting water, I looked up at the
people gathered outside of it, and one (a tall bearded guy)
waved. I waved back.

Some Midsummer Weekend, 1982: Northbound on I95, somewhere in
Delaware. Having spent half the summer in Baltimore, I'd just
broken up with my college sweetie, and am heading back to
Connecticut flat broke. I realize I'll never make it north
through the maze of tolls without panhandling for money, and
swinging into a rest area, I spy another motorcycle. Suzuki 850
shaftie. Tight sport-touring bike. I muster my best yogi skills.

He's headed to Maine, and accepts lunch at my parent's place in
CT (a spit-n-hop from I95) for the spot of gas/tolls to me.
Phew!

Over lunch in Connecticut, and *as* *he's* *leaving*, we talk
about other interests. Hiking. AT. Bizarre weather. Mt. Rogers,
sneaux, on a Memorial Day weekend.
He says "Yeah, I've seen that too! Wow!"
I says "No way! When?"
He says "1979."
I says "No WAY! That's when I hiked!"
He says "Yeah, we got blown off the ridge, and ended up tenting
in some field near a shelter."
I deadpan "'Apple Orchard'."
His mouth drops. "Whoaaaaa! When did you go through?"
I says "I was there that night. Got there right at sunset.
Beautiful. There was a big swoopy tent in the corner."
He says "'Early Winters'. You were alone?"
I says "Yeah.  ...  Who waved? Someone waved to me."
He says "That'd be me."

=====
Spatior, Nitor, Nitor, In Nitor!