[at-l] Yankees, yokels and racists on the AT

OrangeBug,

Your friend's story is really interesting. I heard some story in Erwin
about a lynching there, but didn't want to relay it to the list because I
don't have the facts--they were, like you said, "shadowy events." The
people who told me agreed that the events resulted in "running off" the
black people there.

Wouldn't you love to talk to that one man who quietly remained?

There are other towns like this, and they're scattered around, not all in
the South--the South just gets noticed and labeled more for this kind of
thing. And you are so right, it would be wonderful if all this racism
eventually died off and became just stories to tell a new generation that
did not have to deal with it!

Grace (Kelly Winters)