[at-l] RE: Racism...

"Racism" is everywhere.  I'm white and I'm male.  Yet I've experienced
bigotry in "Yankeeland" because I often speak with a rural Southern accent.
I also worked for a number of years in blue collar work and freely mentioned
that I worked in a "cotton mill".  And my hair was shaggy and long as was
the beard and mustache I had back then.  I even wore clothes that made me
look like a backwoods refugee or a biker.  And I admitted to being a college
dropout (I've since gotten my degree).

Most times the best thing to do is ignore such people.  Some are just
ignorant.  Some have inflated egos.  Some are "drunk".  And a small portion
-- I hope -- have a vicious, cruel streak through them.

I don't think that you will find any greater Racism on or around the trail
than you will anywhere else.  It's just that not too many non-whites hike
until recently.  It is like Charlie Pride (black) the Country Singer.  Or
that British movie about that young boy who wanted to be a ballet dancer.
People -- even those you would like -- are going to stare -- at least at
first.

You'll probably meet more down and out criminals than racists.

William, The Harley Turtle