[at-l] Racism on or around the AT

I personally never saw any such thing, but I do recall a number of us
who hiked together in '01 commenting on the lack of diversity as to the
hikers that we would run into . . . I sometimes speculate to myself as
to the possible causes there, but these are indeed sensitive issues for
a lot of folks.  It sure would be nice to see a greater cross-section of
society out there, and one thing all of us who HAVE gotten out there
should NEVER forget is that, no matter how tight things were for you
financially, you were - and are - indeed blessed financially to even be
able to contemplate, much less pull off, such an awesome thing.
Unfortunaely, hiking the AT does not come cheap, relative to many
people's income situation . . . maybe someday that ought to be a focus
of giving, in addition to all the many other worthy AT related causes
that get more publicity and consideration . . . just food for thought!

thru-thinker