[at-l] Racism on or around the AT

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 DTimm65344@aol.com wrote:

> Being a voracious student of history of that particular era, I have always
> espoused that the most brilliant military leadership in the Union army (which
> ain't saying much) was indeed buckeye.  I am equally convinced that if the
> south had had three more mules and six more guns than they did, they would
> have won.  The latter belief is what made friends in Texas.

As I remember (and the Civil War is not my area of study, so...) the South
better generals, overall; it had R.E. Lee of course (probably the greatest
general of the war), and as a result won many battles. The North had a few
brilliant gems like Grant, Sherman, and Sheridan (to whom I'm related
somewhere on my mother's side), a larger population (20M v 9M), and
*vastly* greater industrial capacity.  There was simply no way the South
would have won once it became a war of attrition.

> Lest we get grief for non-trail related, my October hike through MD took me
> through the South Mountain civil war battle site area (there - trail related).

The trail goes by some signs in Shennandoah National Park that have some
Civil War stuff written on them, IIRC.

-brian

--
Brian C. Merrell               | "All that glitters is not gold,
brian@patriot.net              |  All who wander are not lost."