[at-l] Zip Stove Field Test /Cleanup/Questions

In a message dated 1/14/02 2:49:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
karinclaus@yahoo.com writes:

> .  So... do you generally just carry a
> little bit of paper to start the fire with ?  Dual-use
> paperback book...

   *** Hi. I've only used the Zip on a 4 & 3 nighter. I did find that even
the smallest tinder tips are usable even in the rain. Most of the time it was
dry and I just picked up some dry crackling sticks. Other times I used trash
paper from by food to get the thin stuff burning. That blower creates a small
forge-type fire blast, so all you need to do is get some coals and you're
good. Another suggestion is using a knife to whittle some dry kindling from a
wet stick.
     If you can get a firestarter brick, it is possible to bring some bullion
cube-sized fire starters cut out of it. Some use vaseline-dipped cotton
balls. These would be for rainy camps.

> 2) The pot was very black after cooking.  Do you all
> just leave the outside black.. Or do you try to clean
> it?

    *** Don't try to clean it. That's when you get everything sooty in the
doing. Just put it in a plastic supermarket bag or double it in a heavier bag
then the plastic. You'll see, it doesn't really smudge when you do it right.

> 3) Ashes.  When I was done, I had a bit of ashes left.
> Since I was on my front porch, I dumped the ashes in
> my ashbin.  What do you do with this on the trail?

   Almost every shelter has a firepit. Just dump what minute amount is left
in it. Firepits also tend to have a lot of perfect chips of broken firewood
that make for perfect Zip fuel...

> 4) Stove stays hot for a while.  Are there any
> tricks..

   *** A fan will cool a surface fast. But as Weary the wiser says, do
something in the 3 minutes it takes to cool and it will be ready. There's
always some busy work with pack, boots, or register that will occupy this
negligible waiting time...

> thanks,
> Karin

multipart/alternative