[at-l] Boots, bugs, etc.

re. Xtopher's recent question:

   Off the top of my head, of all the completed thru-hikers I've met (and
that's quite a few) there are less than a dozen who I know for sure did the
entire trail in one pair of boots WITHOUT extensive repairs, resoling, etc.
I've done it twice without needing re-soling (wearing the Merrell Wilderness
both times if you're interested), but in both cases, the boots looked like
hell when I got to Baxter.  They were literally held together with duct tape
and screws, my own fault as I waited too long to get em professionally dealt
with when I had the chance.

  I wouldn't expect to go all the way in one pair of shoes, unless you wanna
commit to a really rugged, really tough boot, most likely a Norwegian-welt,
hand-stitched, full-grain leather model.  For most contemporary thru-hikers,
these boots are either too expensive or more likely, too heavy.  The trend
nowadays is towards much lighter footwear, i.e "sneaker boots" or
trail-runners, which are really just sneakers with an attitude.  Obviously,
DON'T expect to go very far in really lightweight footwear; I know some
folks who've gone thru 6 or 7 pairs during a thru, your luck might be better
depending on what you try.

   In my experience, on the trips where it was obvious that my original boot
was not gonna make it or wasn't worth repairing, I switched out (always
after, and sometimes WELL after the 1000-mile point) to a lighter-weight
"sneaker-boot" that provided sufficient support, and more important, needed
little or no break-in period, but could be worn right outta the box.   The
only disadvantage I can see in these boots is they tend to get wet easily
and they STAY wet, so be prepared for soggy feet, and pay daily attention to
what's goin' on with them re. hot spots and blisters, and make sure when you
leave town with new footwear, you've got ample medical supplies---moleskin,
duct tape, Compeed pads, Spenco Second skin, disinfectant creme, or whatever
you choose to use.

  One last advice re. replacement boots:  I'd avoid buying an extra pair in
advance and breaking it in ahead of time.  Lots of folks do this and they
generally end up regretting it---their idea is to by 2 pairs of shoes, break
em both in before leaving town, and then having the replacement pair sent to
em when the first one screws the pooch.  The theory is that the boot is
already broken in and softened and will be lots easier on the feet.  Problem
tho, is most folks' feet have grown by half a size or more by the time their
first pair gives up the ghost, so what they end up with in the mail is a
broken-in, unreturnable boot that absolutely doesn't fit and maybe never
will, as some folks' feet NEVER go back to their old size.

    re. bugs, I'd listen to Weary on this one, or any other matter regarding
Maine for that matter.   The black flies are generally gone by mid-July and
have certainly gone to their reward by August.  You may well, no, amend
that---you WILL have mosquito issues in Maine in mid-summer, tho, so by all
means bring something good.  Ben's, or something with 95% Deet is what I
suggest, tho use it sparingly as it's like pouring liquid strychnine on your
skin.  As for other remedies---Cutter, Off, Avon Skin-so-Soft, or any of the
all-natural holistic, kindler/gentler stuff, citronella or herbal stuff,
forget about it.  This stuff merely serves to amuse the bugs, who have a
name for those poor souls who use this stuff.  The bugs call these hapless
wretches "lunch."  Don't let it happen to you.  (While we're on the subject,
I'd make sure you have some sorta bug spray when you leave Kent or
thereabouts; over the past few years, my home state of Massachusetts has
seemed to be the absolute worst place on the Trail for insects, especially
around Tyringham and Goose Pond.  If you're out here in mid-summer without
Deet, you will pray for death.)