Boots.......Re: [at-l] Thru-Hike Questions??

--- Xtopher <cnbceo@yahoo.com> wrote:

>   1)  I heard that one cannot expect a new pair of hiking
> shoes to last an entire thru-hike withouit needing to be
resoled? True Y/N.
### Maybe. I'd certainly have Plan B ready. I had ~800 miles on
my "solid leather boots" [Norwegian welted; leather lined] when
I left Springer. I had SLIGHT toe wear upon hitting Pearisburg
~650 miles up, and chose to get them resoled. (MISTAKENLY, as it
turned out; a tube of SHOE GOO would have done the trick -- just
a touch to keep toe wear off the midsole -- but I went for the
whole enchilada. My boots had ~3000 miles on them when they ...
walked away from summer storage in college. Bummmmmer. From the
time I started on the AT, I never had a blister....)

> I have a new pair of Vasque solid leather boots. If they need
to be resoled what are my best options???
### Depends on where you are. A good bet is to have a pair of
soles available to be shipped -- technically, it's a job any
decent cobbler can whip out. (Just make sure he knows not to
shave 'em too close when he trims 'em...) Otherwise, keep a tube
of SHOE GOO in your bounce box, and life will be grand.

### Oh, and be sure to SnowSeal/NikWax 'em grandly. It's cool to
be dry.

Sloetoe

=====
Spatior, Nitor, Nitor, In Nitor!