[at-l] G4 first impressions

I too am a recent G4 convert.  I went for a nice winter hike recently and
broke in my G4.  I used to havea thermarest, but I find that the Z-Rest is
just as comfortable, if not more, can't "puncture", and fits great into the
slot in the back of the G4.  Give one a try next time you're in EMS or
REI or whatever.  Better yet, close your eyes and have somebody put them
each, in turn, under your bag, and just FEEL.  :)

I took just under 20lb. of winter gear up into the snow, and I really liked
it.  It took a little getting used to, but I don't fear taking my pack
off while my heavier hiking companion was lying backwards on his pack (for
fear of having to put it back on).   It is easy to just pull out the Zrest
for a nice snow cushion.  (Although I use an 8-section, so putting it back
takes a minute.)

I used the provided foam, because I hike in the wet/winter conditions, and
I'm prefer to keep my dry clothes ziplock'd up, and I don't want to risk them
getting wet while in the should/hip straps.

I also found myself trying to support the weight on my hips, but once I got
used to the shoulders carrying their own weight, it got quite reasonable.
I wouldn't try to put much more than 25lb in this pack though.

My down bag was very happy that it had the room to expand in the bottom of
the pack.  When I pulled it out, it was ready to warm me up very fast
instead of the soccerball-shaped heavily-compressed bag my friend pulled out!

On the trails with dense brush, you have to watch out for the mesh catching
on branches.  I got hung up once, and almost tore the mesh a bit.  Luckily,
I move slow, so I didn't.

Two thumbs up for this pack, and for the style changes that carrying it
includes!

--
Jonathan Hartford				jon@outland.net