[at-l] My trip report

My Trip Report

By Felix J. McGillicuddy

On Friday, about ten days ago, Sundown and I met at the parking lot near the
AT where the trail crosses NJ Highway 23. We hiked. We talked. We tried to
slide rocks across all the frozen ponds we passed. It was fun. It hurt my
arm. As we hiked through/around the peat bog on the north end of the
wallkill river bridge, Sundown said something about not liking that the
trail winds through the bog instead of roadwalking around it. After many
minutes of profanity-laced yelling, I convinced him that the route the trail
takes is the better route. How else, I explained, could we have seen that
two-headed deer? He agreed.  We got to Pochuck S. right at dark. MY FEET
HURT!!!  Not ache hurt…but, rubbin'-raw hurt. (I blamed my parents. At least
that's the way my lawyer is wording it.)

The next day, we hiked. We talked. It was Saturday and the woods was
crawling with hunters. (Should it be '…the woods WERE crawling with
hunters'?) (I should clarify: The woods were not literally 'crawling' with
hunters. We saw many hunters, however. None of them, to my memories best,
were crawling. Nor was the 'woods' itself, actually crawling.) (I guess I
shouldn't say that 'the woods itself' wasn't actually 'crawling'. I really
don't know what that means or what it would look like if the woods were
actually crawling.) (Were I to start this paragraff over, I'd say "The next
day, we hiked. We talked. It was Saturday and there were lots of hunters
around.")  We talked about that dangerous roadwalk trailsouth of NJ 94. We
were dreading walking along the highway on a Saturday morning. It's bizzy
and dangerous anythyme. But, especially so on a Saturday morning.

When we got there, however, we were pleasantly surprised to find a hot
chocolate stand offering free cocoa and donuts to the hikers. The
bare-chested servers wore smiles and little more. (Actually, there was no
hot chocolate stand or bare-chested servers.) We were equally pleasantly
surprised to find that the relo to THE BRIDGE TO NOWHERE was finally opened.
And, what a relo it is. A four foot wide swath through cattails winds around
on aluminum supports and is made of uncarved, unburnt treated lumber. It
looks like a sidewalk/boardwalk in Atlantic City, where I met my first wife,
lo these many years. The bridge does seem to be a bit overkill. It actually
has a sign on it that sez something like 'Capacity 20 people'.  (Does anyone
know the new mileage from 94 to the road that is connected by the relo?)

When we got to 94, we hitched to Vernon. We stopped at Burger King on an
incredibly bizzy Saturday afternoon. I ate a double Whopper and a large
Strawberry shake. In less than 60 minutes time we hitched from the trail,
ate and were climbing Wawayanda Mt. I was ill. But, there was no way that I
was going to pass up a damned trailtown. I hiked on.

Sundown left me to die about halfway up Wawayanda. I hadn't seen him for a
few hours when I was lucky enuff to notice his candle lighting up the inside
of the shelter. (It was well after dark and the signs for the shelter are
hard to see. I had passed the sidetrail. Sundown had passed the sidetrail
but remembered it from his thru-hike this year.) So, we spent night number
two at Wawayanda S. The next morning we saw some joggers running on the
trail. The girl jogger had on those tight black pants that you like to see
on girl joggers…the kind that men hate to see on men joggers cause they
can't tell if they are girl joggers or men joggers from behind. We were
still in the shelter when we saw them…so, I really couldn't tell if any of
them were girl joggers or not.

When we got to the second road north of the shelter (Something lake??? It
has a 'b' in it) the book said that there are 'meals' .7 west. It was not .7
west from this road. It was the first road north of the shelter. We got a
ride all the same. We talked to the guy driving us (who was out driving
around so his baby dotter would go to sleep) and he took us to a restaurant
in downtown Warwick. Seems like the name of the place was just a letter. It
was nice and had lots of women for with which to flirt. So, I did. After
eating a really good open-faced beef sandwich, we went to the drug store
across the street. I bought tape and bandages for with which to tape my
feet. We then walked back down the street, nearly to the deli we thought we
were hitching/walking to in the first place. There we were picked up by an
old guy that turned out to be the most frightening hitch I've ever had. He
was looking all over the place and stopping to point at stuff. There was
traffic behind us. He was swerving. I wasn't positive where we were or were
going, but he kept wanting me to 'skip that section and I'll drop you off at
17A. ' Finally I talked him into taking us back where we wanted to be (Brady
Lake Road???). I was very glad to get out of that car. We hiked about five
minutes and I had to stop and re-tape my feet with my new tape. It helped.
(The more I think about it, the less sure I am about which would make me
more pleasantly surprised: bare-chested servers or the relo to the Bridge to
Nowhere. I wonder.)

Anyway, we hiked. We talked. Sundown was listening to his walkman and said
it was going to 'rain turning to freezing rain turning to snow' that
evening.  Water was pretty scarce for most of this section. So, when we got
to a little section with a bunch of hemlock trees, I asked Sundown if he
wanted me to go look for water. (We were both empty.) He said that he had
gotten water from this same place on his thru. So, I went down and looked.
There was a nice little stream with lots of water flowing over rocks and
stuff. Sundown was scared of the water because it was about the color of
apple cider. I figured bad water was better than no water. (Can water the
color of apple cider that you take from a stream flowing from hemlock tree
roots be dangerous? Is that what go Socrates?) Anyway, for some reason this
water wasn't listed on the book as a water source. We drank anyway.

It was dark by the time we got to highway 17A. As we reached the other side
the first flakes of snow fell. I was glad we got snow instead of rain. The
trail was nice and we were making good time. The snow was really coming
down, but it was pretty and we knew we were close to the shelter. UNTIL we
got to those big rocks you have to climb north of 17A.  There was about an
inch of snow on the ground, and the rocks, when we started over them. There
was a funny blue blaze (with three squares) (three squares indicating the
shape of the blaze, not three well-rounded meals.) (hmmm, I don't know how a
well-rounded meal could be square because it would then seem to be
oxymoronic, or at least a geometric misnomer.) Anyway, it was difficult and
dangerous as we crossed these rocks. I had to get down on my taut ace
several times and slide. The white blazes painted on the rocks were
impossible to see.  It added to the fun, though. By the time we made it to
Wildcat S., there were 2 or 3 inches of snow. The shelter was nice. It is
the shelter I spent my 36th birthday in on my thru-hike. It was nice to be
there again.

Sundown and I talked and watched it snow. We decided to take a zero the next
day. I've always wanted to take a zero in the shelter and this seemed like
the perfect time/place. We had plenty of food and the snow would make plenty
of water. So, I got in my sleeping bag at 8 p.m. Sunday evening and was out
of it two times, for less than seven minutes (to drain Minute-maid coloured
urine from my bladder twice and get snow to melt one of those times) in the
next 36 hours. It was a blast. Sundown is a great guy to hang with. He's
hilarious and doesn't even know it.  The only bad thing we could figger
about taking a zero in a shelter was that we didn't get a chance to hitch to
a restaurant.

The next morning we got up and hiked through a beautiful woods. The snow on
Fitzgerald Falls (are those the falls just north of the road to Lake
Greenwood?) was beautiful and slick and dangerous. We got to Mombasha
Rd…where there is a deli 6 tenths west, and walked to 'town'.  We ate a
really good hero there. The owner was really nice and I asked him if he
likes the hikers coming there. He said he does. (Bentley's North, I think is
the name of the place. Great sandwich.) After we were there a few minutes,
we decided to call the rest of the trip off. Logistics and rides had been
set up and the zero in the shelter would have made it more difficult to meet
at a better road crossing (17 near Arden). So, we got a ride from a man
whose son was a fireman who died in the WTC. Gregory Sikorsky, if you're
interested. He dropped us off at a place on 17 called The Red Apple Rest. We
ate pie and waited on Oscar to pick us up. We also listened to a bunch of
senior citizens talk about the merits of a John Deere lawn tractor and snow
blower….

Epilogue…Epilady….

Even though we only mde it about 45 miles, I had a blast. I loved hiking
with Sundown and getting NJ done for my section-hikes. We were really lucky
getting rides (a strange thing happened that got us the ride with the
fireman's dad. I had a funny feeling about something that came true…I like
that.) and that made the trip more trip-like.

Mmmmm, Peggy Lipton.