[at-l] Weekend Report

Two posts for the price of one:

First, was able to see Terry Norton (Ultralite GA-ME
'98, Cheers ME-GA '01) this past weekend. He was in
town for a friend's wedding, and I spent a few hours
with him yesterday as he bought some supplies for his
road trip back East (starting this morning). He had a
great time on the AT this year (better weather than
'98!) and is looking forward to his PCT hike this
year. He is debating wether to move to Asheville, NC
or Boulder, CO after the trip... Tough life. :-)

This Saturday, did a winter hike up Mt. Bierstadt
(Beer City in German!).  Though this mountain is a
14er (14,0000 feet), it has less than 3000' feet
elevation gain in a little over three miles.  Winter
hiking is sublime. A duality of breath-taking scenery
and a harsh climate. Winter hiking tests you, but the
rewards are great.

It was  the first group trip I lead up a significant
peak. It was brought to my attention that my defintion
of a mellow hike is different from most. :-)  But,
everyone enjoyed themselves, and seeing Grey and
Torries peaks (Two 14ers on the divide) framed by a
cloudless blue sky while hanging at 14060' made the
trip very worthwhile.  This was the first winter trip
for everyone but myself, and the first 14er for about
half the group. Since everyone surrvived, I am going
to count the trip as a success.

Afterwards, rather than fight the ski traffic heading
back east towards Denver, we went to a local bar and
grill. I had a well deserved bacon swiss burger with
mushrooms and onions. WEll, *I* think I deserved it.
:-)

So a weekend of cathcing up with friends, and
introducing other friends to the beauty of winter
hiking.

Mags

=====