[at-l] Pot-pourri (Jim)

In a message dated 1/13/02 10:16:32 AM Eastern Standard Time,
spiriteagle99@hotmail.com writes:

> In general - "An Appalachian Trail: A Project in Regional Planning" by
> Benton MacKaye can be found at: http://www.fred.net/kathy/at/mackaye.html

     ***  Thanks. I think every person who walks the AT should at least know
what was said in this essay.

> Those who are at all interested should read it for themselves.  RnR
> obviously reads it through his own filter and has no idea what it actually
> says.  Others may or may not understand it, but overlay it with their own
> biases and interpretations.

     *** I think you struggle a little too hard against what is obviously
said within that essay in MacKaye's own words Jim. It has nothing to do with
me or my interpretation. You seem to spend most of your time nit-picking
challenges instead of appreciating his overall message. In any case, I find
it infinitely productive to at least discuss those interpretations instead of
offering only nasty snubs (OB).

> Question - how does one explain MacKaye's praise of Tamiment in light of our
> local revisionist claims for his "wilderness" predilections?
>
> Second question - RnR was asked to provide MacKayes definitions of
> wilderness.  Where are they, RnR?  Or don't you know?  You seem to have a
> lot of time to generate bullshit - how about some real facts for a change?

      *** Sorry, I must confess that most of my previous views were based on
web viewing and other life encounters -including being read from ATC archives
by Wingfoot himself on his front porch. I need to obtain some hard-copy
volumes of those writings to better respond. I admit I like the challenge,
but I have to point out that it comes from a person who doesn't answer when
his faulty views on including roads and private property are properly
addressed. I would also repeat that a year ago I was chided for my approach
and words. I see it has taken the man who objected over the word "silly" a
year to catch up to what I was saying then. Some people are out to irritate,
others to induce active interest...
     Jim, understanding MacKaye isn't a Jeopardy show matter of question and
answer, or splitting hairs of contradiction, it's one of seeing the bigger
picture of his intentions and how an active AT fits into that today...

     We'll adjourn until I get the books. Until then I'll wonder why a man
who shows so much interest in the Trail reacts so negatively when its basic
premise is put in front of him. I give you credit though, in your reverse way
you appear to be the only one to show a healthy interest...

      Pronunciation:   MacKaye  ---   M@ K(EYE)  or   Mack EYE   not   Mack A

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---