Re[2]: [at-l] Cooling in Plastic

"... so I still haven't found conclusive information on this issue . . ." says
Jan.

 Sadly, there is never conclusive information in these matters. As a society we
 are awash in chemicals. Most were unknown 50 years ago. Virtually none have
 been studied to the level needed for conclusive proof of harm.

 There are always multiple confounding matters. "Is it the seepage from new
 cars, or seepage from saran wrap? Or exposure to some other substance, or a
 combination of substances?

 Wise folks will try to minimize their exposure. I for one would not put boiling
 water into a plastic bag to cook food. But I use Zip lock bags to store dry
 stuff like pasta and rice for the trail, and freeze dozens of quarts of tomato
 puree and other vegetables from my garden each summer and fall.

 If I were 50 years younger I would be even more cautious. If these things
 caused immediate and gross harm it would be rather quickly recognized.
 Fortunately, like smoking, the damage is insidious and remains hidden for
 longer than I'm apt to be around.

 weary