[at-l] Cooling in Plastic

I'm always skeptical of names or titles which indicate an ax to grind and
here's a name that suggest such an ax; but it also provides some interesting
info for further research:
http://www.quackbusters.com.au/chronicles/plastics.htm
Plastics : Quackbusters Chronicle Volume 2 No 10
Quackbusters Chronicle Promoting better health through better understanding
NOTICE: The Quackbusters Chronicle Volume One e-book is now available! This
contains all of the first year's chronicles and more.

Myth: Plastics do not pose a health risk if we use them to prepare or store
food.

Fact: There are many varieties of plastic used in the household, all of them
derived from petrochemical sources.

One of the most common is PVC, which stands for polyvinyl chloride, and is
one of the most versatile and widely used of all plastics. In the liquid, or
monomer form it is highly toxic and a known carcinogen. When the monomer is
polymerised to form the solid plastic, it is no longer considered dangerous,
but a very small amount of the toxic monomer still remains in the product.
This can diffuse out of the plastic container into the food, particularly if
the food is oily or strongly acid or alkaline.

For example, do not use plastic containers for making fruit drinks or
sauerkraut, or for storing edible oil or salad dressings. Used in microwave
cookery, plastics are not such a good idea. If they touch hot food, that
toxic diffusion will take place, albeit a small amount, but it all tots up.

When PVC is heated, more of that toxic monomer is released as the structure
becomes less rigid and more pliable; hence more diffusion takes place into
the food contained within.

Although most food wraps are no longer manufactured from PVC, but the much
safer polyethylene plastic, still try and avoid their contact with warm or
acidy foods.

Other health implications are posed by phthalates, a widely used plasticiser
softener, residues of which have been found in human blood and urine.
Although phthalates break down relatively quickly, finding any amount of
these compounds means that people are repeatedly exposed to them. Long-term
exposure to phthalates have been shown to adversely affect the liver,
kidneys, and heart.

Another major concern of plastics is their ability to stimulate the cellular
activity of our reproductive organs, in much the same way as estrogens and
testosterone - our real hormones. These plastic-derived compounds are called
xenoestrogens which will compete to bind onto specific receptors on the
cells of our reproductive organs, but unlike plant hormones (phytoestrogens)
which are protective and block cellular activity, xenoestrogens will
abnormally stimulate it.

If you open the door to your car on a hot day and notice a thin fog on the
inside of the windshield, let the vehicle air before you get into it,
otherwise, you will be inhaling xenoestrogens released from the hot plastic
components in the vehicle cabin.

Health Tip: Although plastics are wonderfully versatile and useful, glass is
much safer for food handling and storage, not to mention its use in
microwave cookery. Using paper towelling in place of plastic food wrap in
microwave cookery can also minimise exposure and food contact to plastics'
less attractive characteristics.

For a more complete understanding see our range of invaluable reference
books, videos, audio cassettes and CDs as displayed on this newly upgraded
website.

Catalogues and order forms are also available as email attachments on
request.

For more information on cookig see: Quackbusters Chronicle Volume One
(Number 3) on the E-book CD; or How Not To Take Medicine; and on plastics
Hot To Trot by Sandy Weeks available online through this site,
http://www.quackbusters.com.au or email info@quackbusters.com.au

All new subscriptions are welcome - itıs currently FREE! Register directly
through our website http://www.quackbusters.com.au or email 'subscribe' to
admin@quackbusters.com.au

Return to Archive