[at-l] Pot-pourri (Bird Kill)

Jim,

If you are interested in the issue of avian mortality, I suggest you check
out the following link:

http://www.ncpa.org/studies/renew/renew2d.html

Its a good discussion of the issue.  And make no mistake about it, bird
kills are an issue.  It was written by a fellow of the Cato Institute and is
part of the National Center for Policy Analysis web site.  It's long and a
bit scholarly, but well written.  They get into stuff like mortality rate
per KW hour-- I think you will appreciate that.  They also cite the numbers
of Golden Eagles killed in CA.  The numbers are not trivial when compared to
their overall population.

There is a reason why the National Audubon Society has taken the positions
it has.  They may be right or they may be wrong;  interpreting statistics to
make the best policy decisions is not an easy thing.  But again, this is not
nearly as much of a "no brainer" that you would like to make it out to be.
Especially for an area like the AT ridge line.  You have to be careful with
statistics.

BTW, that NCPA site has some other good stuff if you look around--
Especially for those who like to have thier own view-points challenged.  Its
worth a look.  Check out the paper on hunting, for example.

Rick Boudrie