[at-l] Pot-pourri

I'm beginning to think some of you don't hike at all.  What were you doing
home today?  Whaddya mean it's cold out there - I was out there and it was
beautiful.

For anklebear who said:
 > Moreover, what was so earthshatteringly important about the
>"issue" of McKaye's and Avery's relationship?

The answer is -- nothing.  In spite of RnR's wordiness, it comes down to
this - they're both dead, their clashes are of no more than historical
interest to anyone who isn't obsessed with one or the other - or both.  With
one exception - they provide an illustration of the necessary symbiosis
between the visionary and the "doer".

For Weary who said:
>But that doesn't mean that it would be bad to now finally
>achieve some of MacKaye' original vision, which was for a wild as possible
>trail.

You also need to go back and read MacKaye's original document.  That wasn't
MacKayes original plan and the way the Trail was built precludes adherence
to that original plan.  Don't be pullin' revisionism on me here, Bob.  That
wasn't MacKayes plan - it's yours.

Secondarily - you said: E-mail me and I'll put you in touch with the
pertinent folks.  Do it.  I'll call ATC this week myself - the computer
simulation should have been done weeks ago if this is a real problem (and in
this case I'll assume it is unless proven otherwise). It ain't that big a
deal.  Also - noise might be an issue if there are plans for future
development anywhere in the area.  Paint - CAN help to minimize visual
impact - as can other things, BUT when you light it up at night like a
carney midway, the paint doesn't do crap.  Haven't figured the visual
problem myself yet - butI will.

For Rick Boudrie who said:
>Sure its an issue.

Sorry, Rick but the numbers are statistically insignificant.  Given the
number of windfarms and the overall bird population and the kill rate, any
decision maker who considered this to be more than a nit would be seriously
considered to be stupid.  One reliable estimate is that in Britain, house
cats kill 55 million birds per year.  Since about 0.6% of our energy is
generated by windfarms, even increasing the windfarm output (which means
both area and capacity) by a factor of 100 would leave the bird kill as a
minor problem.  And that won't happen soon - if ever.  Raptors - there are
some killed - but far less than you imagine.  Keep in mind that California
is a major area for windfarms - and doesn't seem to have the eagle problem
anymore.  There's no reason to assume that future sites would have it.
Flyways - are and should be a major consideration in siting installations.

For saunterer - I have the reference but have to dig it out - I'll get back
to you later tonight or tomorrow.

There's more but I've gotta go now.  Later.

Walk softly,
Jim