[at-l] Avery & MacKaye

Some background on both can be found in the August 2000 ATN, or online at <A=
 HREF=3D"http://www.atconf.org/about/history/";>
ATC: Trail History</A> (Rhymin' Worm writes about Avery, Larry Anderson on=20
MacKaye) or  <A HREF=3D"http://www.appalachiantales.com/AT%20history.htm";>HI=
STORY OF THE APPALACHIAN TRAIL</A>  (links MacKaye's 1921=20
article). At  <A HREF=3D"http://www.patc.net/history/archive/";>PATC -- Histo=
ry Archive</A>  Avery writes about Skyline Drive and=20
the AT ( the PATC site has many historial AT tids and bits).

"Little did I dream more than fifty years ago when I sat down with two men i=
n=20
the New Jersey Highlands and outlined to them my idea of a footpath through=20
the Appalachians, that such plans would be translated into the institution=20
that has now come to pass. I did little more than suggest the notion: I set=20
the match to the fuse and set the chain reaction that has come about."
=E2=80=94Benton MacKaye, statement read to Appalachian Trail Conference meet=
ing in=20
1975
   =20
TJ